A navy blue suit is a wardrobe staple for any stylish man. It is versatile, elegant and easy to match with different colours and patterns. Whether you need a suit for work, a wedding or a casual occasion, a navy blue suit can help you look sharp and sophisticated. But how do you style a navy blue suit to make the most of its potential? Here are some tips and ideas to help you out.
- Choose the right shirt colour. A navy blue suit can work with many shirt colours, but some are more flattering than others. A white shirt is a classic and fail-safe option that goes well with any tie or accessory. A light blue or light pink shirt can also look great with a navy blue suit, especially if you want to add some contrast and warmth to your outfit. Avoid dark or bright colours that can clash with the navy blue or make you look too flashy.
- Focus on the fit. A well-fitted suit can make a huge difference in your appearance and confidence. Make sure your navy blue suit is tailored to your body shape and size, and avoid anything too loose or too tight. The jacket should hug your shoulders, the sleeves should end at your wrist bone, the trousers should break slightly at your shoes, and the waistcoat (if you wear one) should cover your belt.
- Wear black or brown shoes. When it comes to shoes, you have two main options with a navy blue suit: black or brown. Both can work well, depending on the shade of navy and the occasion. Black shoes are more formal and sleek, while brown shoes are more casual and warm. Generally, darker shades of navy go better with black shoes, while lighter shades of navy go better with brown shoes. You can also experiment with different styles of shoes, such as brogues, oxfords, loafers or Chelsea boots.
- Go for classic over trendy. A navy blue suit is a timeless piece that can transcend trends and seasons. Therefore, it is better to opt for a classic style and design that will never go out of fashion. Avoid anything too flashy or gimmicky, such as exaggerated lapels, loud patterns, shiny fabrics or novelty accessories. Instead, stick to simple and elegant details, such as a notch or peak lapel, a single-breasted or double-breasted jacket, a two-button or three-button closure, and a plain or subtle pattern.
- Use bold colours in your accessories. One of the advantages of wearing a navy blue suit is that you can play with different colours and patterns in your accessories without looking overdone. You can use your tie, pocket square, socks, belt or watch to add some personality and flair to your outfit. For example, you can wear a blush pink tie with a white shirt and a navy blue suit for a subtle romantic look, or a navy blue tie with a light blue shirt and a navy blue suit for a tonal blue look.
Some examples of how to wear a navy blue suit for different occasions are:
- For work: Wear a navy blue suit with a white shirt, a dark blue or burgundy tie, black oxford shoes and a matching belt.
- For a wedding: Wear a navy blue suit with a contrasting waistcoat (such as grey or beige), a light pink shirt, a floral tie, brown brogues and a pocket square.
- For a casual occasion: Wear a navy blue suit with a dark blue crew neck t-shirt or jumper, white trainers and no tie or a shirt and dickie bow bowtie.